7th and 8th cases of monkeypox confirmed in Singapore
SINGAPORE – Two more cases of monkeypox were reported on Sunday (July 24), with one a 46-year-old man from Estonia and the other a 26-year-old Singaporean man.
This brings the total number of cases detected here to eight, comprising four local and four imported cases. None have been linked to one another.
In updates on monkeypox on its website, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said the Estonian man came to Singapore from London on July 21. He tested positive for monkeypox on Sunday, after he developed rashes in the groin area and had fever and swollen lymph nodes.
The Singaporean man developed rashes in the groin area as well as other parts of his body and also tested positive on Sunday. Both of them were taken to the National Centre for Infectious Diseases and are in stable condition.
In a statement to The Straits Times on whether it will change domestic or border restrictions following the declaration of monkeypox as a global health emergency last week, MOH said Singapore already has the majority of monkeypox measures recommended by the World Health Organisation (WHO) in place.
It added that most of the temporary recommendations issued by the WHO have already been in place since May, including protocols for isolating confirmed cases and quarantining close contacts for 21 days from the date of exposure. Lower-risk contacts are also put on phone surveillance for the same length of time, the maximum incubation period for the virus.
MOH said the healthcare system has the expertise and capability to effectively test, diagnose and treat monkeypox infections.
It said it has been engaging those who are more at risk through healthcare and community partners.
The ministry also encouraged travellers who have just returned from areas affected by monkeypox to seek medical treatment immediately if they develop symptoms like fever, swollen lymph nodes and rash within three weeks of their trip.